Friday, November 30, 2012

The Next Step

The Next Step

      I'm a youth that lived at Turning Point for about a year and 5 months. While I was in Turning Point, I learned a lot about myself that I never really looked deep enough to know. I really am glad for the time I spent at Turning Point though, because it helped me to become a better person and has given me the opportunity for a better life. Leaving the facility isn't the final step though. I'm now to a very vital step for being able to live a successful life: Going into proctor care.

     Going into proctor is a huge deal for kids in the facility. You have 6 levels for treatment, and you usually head into proctor around the end of level 4 or the beginning of level 5. Each level can take anywhere between a month to 4 months, usually, so after working hard for so long, going into proctor is like winning the lottery. Every kid in the facility looks forward to hitting that point of going into proctor. 

     Even though going into proctor is such a great thing though, it comes along with a lot of responsibility. You have to make sure and set down good boundaries with yourself and others so that you don't end up getting into trouble again. You also have to start learning all sorts of different skills so that when you get to the point, you can either transfer home or into independent living. All in all, when you get into proctor, you have a lot of responsibility, but for pretty much everyone, it's a fair trade for getting out and back into the community.

     I'm really glad for the opportunity Turning Point has given me. They have helped me to learn many new lessons that are going to help me to succeed in my future, and for this, I am forever grateful. I am also thankful for the many amazing proctor parents, therapists, and staff that have and are giving their time and love to help us youth get back into the mainstream of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment